CHOOSING MUSIC FOR THE OVER 50 POLE DANCER
by Susan O.
Have you ever thought about the sheer number of songs in your head? It must be staggering. By the time you’re over the age of 50 it must be in the hundreds of thousands. So how are we to choose?
As a Grand Master myself I humbly submit the following:
Screw acting your age, but be mindful of Relevance
- If there is a theme, check with the show’s producer/host before making an ambiguous choice. They may have a specific vision in mind.
- Use your life experience to show variety. For example, sexy isn’t just grinding and dub step! We don’t need to fall back on stereotypes. There are plenty of songs in our arsenal that Dr. Ruth would be proud of. Make it a sexy lyrical dance. Show some romance. Maybe you lost your virginity to an ELO song or conceived a child to TLC.
Don’t let current Trends dictate your choice
- It’s easy to fall into the trap of trying to keep up with the cool kids.
- If you love it, by all means use it. Just make sure it’s for the right reasons. This especially applies when competing.
- You can always choose a favorite classic and make it more current by using a cover by a recent artist.
- Pick something that will connect you to your audience. They love when you tell them a story and we have a lifetime of those.
- Does it click? Do you immediately see a whole vision of costume, prop, makeup and maybe even choreo? Do you see signs that you are on the right track (Look! Green crystals! Perfect!)
Keep a List Of Songs that Speak to you
- If you’re tech savvy you can use Spotify to create a playlist.
- I like to use the App “Shazam”. If you hear a song you can press a button and a magic Genie shows the title and artist. It is stored for you to reference at a later date.
- There is always the stone age pen and paper…
Remember that as Grand Masters our power is in knowing who we are. Own that. Celebrate that.